At mPharma, we start and end our day thinking about how we can enable patients to afford their medications. We are building the largest network of community pharmacies in Africa that provide primary healthcare. We’re a small but growing team of 150+ members, headquartered in Accra, Ghana, backed by mission-driven investors. We’ve joined hands with third-party payers, drug manufacturers and healthcare providers to develop products and services that directly reduce the costs of prescription drugs for patients. In only a few years, we’ve managed to provide low-cost, high-quality medicines to hundreds of thousands of patients across five African countries (Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, Zambia, Zimbabwe).
mPharma is looking for an experienced Procurement Lead to join our Supply Chain team in Lagos. In this role, you will interface with pharmaceutical manufacturers, pharmaceutical distributors and hospital procurement departments. He/She would be responsible for managing purchasing decisions for drugs on mPharma’s formulary and ensuring that mPharma’s providers’ inventory needs are being proactively managed. The ideal candidate must have the ability to inspire confidence in his/her team and push them to achieve results far beyond what they thought was possible. He/She must be a great listener and an educator who takes pleasure in seeing others succeed. This role reports to the Supply Chain Manager with a dotted line to the Global Procurement Lead
- Work with Global Procurement Lead in setting global procurement strategy. Support in the development of processes to ensure compliance related to key supply chain requirements such as quality control, warehousing and distribution.
- Design, maintain and update the mPharma drug formulary. Ensure the drug formulary is updated by conducting a market survey on drug prices from suppliers in the master supplier database.
- Serve as subject matter expert for drug procurement, medical devices and equipment and service providers related to pharmaceutical regulatory requirements.
- Conduct market analysis to get the best purchasing deals.
- Organize, manage and be responsible for documentation related to drug pricing and procurement with providers/ distributors.
- Communicate with distributors – strategizing to find cost-effective deals and distributors while building and maintaining relationships with them.
- Coordinate staff to ensure all activities in the procurement department are operating efficiently and that KPIs are achieved.
- Communicate and work closely with other teams within mPharma including: Planning, Provider Engagement, Finance, Product, and Patient Support to delivery on mPharma objectives.
- Track inventory levels at provider facilities to minimize stockouts. Coordinate and ensure timely receipt and completion of purchase orders from providers.
- Conduct/organize regular and ad hoc inspections of mPharma suppliers and their manufacturers, to safeguard the quality of supplies delivered to mPharma beneficiaries
- Manage the Supply Management Tool and coordinate the drug mappings for all providers.
Our Ideal Candidate
- An enthusiasm to work with an early stage startup, commitment to helping us grow, and passion about healthcare in Africa.
- A strong knowledge base in pharmaceuticals and ability to draw frequently from technical knowledge and have highly relevant procurement and supply chain experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in contract negotiations and cost management. Ability to provide fact based advice and development of market and industry analysis.
- A strong work ethic and a “can-do” attitude that requires minimal supervision
- Delegation skills are crucial in identifying the best person (or people) for a task and act as a facilitator to motivate and direct the work.
- Time management skills are important in prioritizing tasks to ensure that projects are completed by deadlines and streamlining processes to maximize productivity
- Successful experience in audit/assessments and the implementation of procurement management improvements.
- Ability to work and lead in a dynamic team. You pride yourself in your ability to foster an environment where people thrive and deliver their best performance.
- Has proven knowledge of procurement industry cost structures and drivers
- Degree in Pharmacy, Pharmacist preferred (can include internships)
- 6-8 years of pharmaceutical Procurement related experience.
Send only your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following subject line: “Procurement Lead – Nigeria – [Your Name]”. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.