Senior Backend Engineer
Do you believe that everybody should have access to the best treatments they need to get better regardless of the socio-economic status? If you answer yes then you would love working at mPharma.
At mPharma, we start and end our day thinking about how we can enable patients to afford their medications. We are a small but growing team of 45+ members, headquartered in Accra, Ghana, backed by world class investors. We’ve joined hands with third party payers, drug manufacturers and healthcare providers to develop products and services that directly reduce the costs of prescription drugs for patients. In only a few months, we’ve managed to provide low-cost, high-quality medicines to tens of thousands of patients across four African countries (Ghana, Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe).
We are looking for an experienced Senior Backend Engineer who will be responsible for setting up Integration (Data Pipelines) across our various facilities within the countries we operate.
Think of this as an automation of data collection and management using Rest APIs and direct database synchronisation. We collect, aggregate, and build solutions around large data sets, and we maintain a high level of confidentiality/security around these datasets.
As an Engineer at mPharma you’ll be working with a team of super talented and innovative engineers who are experts in various domains of software engineering. In addition, you will be working with individuals across several disciplines including doctors, pharmacists, accountants, customer support teams, e.t.c.
This role does involve some travel and you should be willing and ready to travel when necessary.
- Strong computer science fundamentals – concurrency, multi-threading, data structures, architecture, and various design patterns are things we work with and discuss regularly
- Proficient with Python/Django
Good knowledge of SQL & query optimization (PL/pgSQL is a plus)
- Comfortable working with Bash scripts & Docker
- Strong knowledge of Databases (PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server & MySQL are desirable)
- Experience in full development cycle (planning, documentation, development)
- Must be proficiencent with large database: their design and maintenance
- Must be proficiencent with operating systems (Unix & Windows Server)
- Experience with the following — API design, micro-services, TDD, immutable infrastructure, and open source software
You understand how to build out reliable distributed systems and can deeply discuss tradeoffs
Good experience with troubleshooting Java & troubleshooting memory leaks
- 5+ years of active software development
- Strong communication skills and the ability to explain difficult technical ideas simply
- Fast learner, analytical, good problem solving skills and a can-do spirit
- Willing to take initiative and be accountable at all times (for tasks within and outside your expertise)
- Desirable Skills
- Good understanding of networks
- Experience with automated unit/regression testing.
- Experience with queueing architectures
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Excel
- Experienced with payment systems
- Experienced with working on solutions for the health care industry
- Knowledge of VBA scripts is a plus
These are some of the technologies/tools used @ mPharma, any knowledge of them is a plus:
Python, Java, Git, Django REST Framework, PostgreSQL, Linux, AWS, ES6, React.js, Docker, Redis, Celery, ELK, Jenkins, Elasticsearch, Logstash, SymmetricDS, Excel, VBA and lots of raw SQL for analytics.
At mPharma you’ll Learn, Grow & be part of a team thats making significant impact on the the health of millions of people across Africa
If you meet the above criteria, please email your current CV and cover letter describing why you are interested in working with mPharma and how you would make a good addition to our team to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “senior backend engineer – Ghana – (Your Name)”.